Subject: bug#36250: [PATCH] Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 22:07:45 +0300

> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:59:26 +0300
> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > We've been there before: the real world out there never ceases to
> > surprise us, no matter how sure we are in our conclusions.  I've
> > learned that lesson after seeing our best intentions backfire enough
> > times.
> 
> Okay, then, should I maybe bring it up on emacs-devel?

That's orthogonal, and is up to you.  I don't see how any kind of
discussion could make us 110% sure this change can never do any harm,
with any window manager and any possible setup/configuration.

The way I see it, we add a simple Lisp variable and don't bother
documenting it except in NEWS.  Then a few releases from now, if no
one comes up with a problem, we can either delete the variable or
forget about it.  The advantage of this plan is that there's no danger
of breaking someone's setup without giving them a know to repair the
damage.  Which will allow us to make this backward-incompatible change
with less fear.

All this, of course, subject to the assumption that no one will object
to the change because they already know something about that.  Let's
not get ahead of ourselves, okay?