Subject: bug#36250: [PATCH] Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:59:26 +0300

В Вс, июн 16, 2019 at 21:53, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> 
написал:
>>  Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:42:25 +0300
>>  From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
>>  Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>>  > Thanks, but after so many years of doing this stuff the way we 
>> do, and
>>  > without any experts in this domain on board, I think we need to 
>> leave
>>  > behind a "fire escape" -- a variable that users could set from 
>> Lisp to
>>  > get back the old behavior.  There are too many window managers out
>>  > there, and we cannot be sure none of them need the old code.
>> 
>>  As I noted, "unconstrained behavior" is widely tested. At the very
>>  least, it's tested by users of i3wm.
> 
> We've been there before: the real world out there never ceases to
> surprise us, no matter how sure we are in our conclusions.  I've
> learned that lesson after seeing our best intentions backfire enough
> times.

Okay, then, should I maybe bring it up on emacs-devel? I wanted 
initially to do just that, but then I figured that searching for 
reasons why these variables were added in the first place should be 
enough. But if not, I can still open a topic there.