Subject: bug#36250: [PATCH] Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:53:04 +0300

> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:42:25 +0300
> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Thanks, but after so many years of doing this stuff the way we do, and
> > without any experts in this domain on board, I think we need to leave
> > behind a "fire escape" -- a variable that users could set from Lisp to
> > get back the old behavior.  There are too many window managers out
> > there, and we cannot be sure none of them need the old code.
> 
> As I noted, "unconstrained behavior" is widely tested. At the very 
> least, it's tested by users of i3wm.

We've been there before: the real world out there never ceases to
surprise us, no matter how sure we are in our conclusions.  I've
learned that lesson after seeing our best intentions backfire enough
times.

> We always can revert the code.

We can, but users who install distros usually cannot.  Having a
user-level knob to fix any unexpected situations is good for users.

> Let's not pile up maintainance burden by adding lots of variables
> for unnecessary behavior unless it's really needed.

There's no tangible burden here, believe me.