Subject: Re: bug#36250: [PATCH] Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:42:25 +0300

В Вс, июн 16, 2019 at 21:24, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> 
написал:
>>  From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
>>  Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:01:22 +0300
>> 
>>  This constraint disallows standard compliant window managers to make
>>  Emacs fullscreen on certain screen resolutions (ones that are not
>>  multiple of width_inc and height_inc), or to expand Emacs to fill 
>> free
>>  space on the screen (on certain sizes too).
>> 
>>  It doesn't seem to do anything useful otherwise; besides some WMs
>>  (like i3wm) just ignore this property anyway.
>> 
>>  * src/xterm.c (x_wm_set_size_hint): don't set width_inc, 
>> height_inc, and
>>    GDK_HINT_RESIZE_INC.
>>  * src/gtkutil.c (x_wm_set_size_hint): don't set width_inc, 
>> height_inc, and
>>    PResizeInc.
>>  * src/emacsgtkfixed.c (XSetWMSizeHints): don't set width_inc and 
>> height_inc.
> 
> Thanks, but after so many years of doing this stuff the way we do, and
> without any experts in this domain on board, I think we need to leave
> behind a "fire escape" -- a variable that users could set from Lisp to
> get back the old behavior.  There are too many window managers out
> there, and we cannot be sure none of them need the old code.

As I noted, "unconstrained behavior" is widely tested. At the very 
least, it's tested by users of i3wm.

We always can revert the code. Let's not pile up maintainance burden by 
adding lots of variables for unnecessary behavior unless it's really 
needed.