Subject: bug#36250: [PATCH] Improve a bit frame-resize-pixelwise documentation

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 16:59:45 +0300

В Пт, июн 28, 2019 at 16:16, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> 
написал:
>>  Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:27:14 +0300
>>  From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
>>  Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>>  > I don't see why you needed to remove part of the text.  It isn't a
>>  > repetition: the first sentence talks about frames in general, the
>>  > second only about the initial frame.  The bit about the init file 
>> is
>>  > only relevant to the latter.
>> 
>>  The specific part of text being removed sounds as"in order to set 
>> the
>>  size of a frame in pixels, ", which explains what happens when 
>> variable
>>  is non-nil.
>> 
>>  However, if you read both of two paragraphs of documentation, you 
>> may
>>  find that the 1st paragraph already explains the technical details
>>  behind the variable, and the "non-nil" word in particular appears 
>> twice.
>> 
>>  At that point, if reader came to 2nd paragraph, they probably know 
>> what
>>  Emacs does when variable is non-nil; or at least they know where to
>>  look that up. So, repeating that part again does nothing aside of
>>  wasting one's mental resources used to parse the sentence.
> 
> I think you read "resize a frame" and "set the size of a frame" as
> referring to the same operation.  But they aren't: the former is about
> changing the size of an existing frame with a mouse or with
> set-frame-size, whereas the latter is about doing other things that
> implicitly require the frame's size to have pixel resolution.
> 
> So no, this is not repetition, and should not be removed.

Right, but the 1st paragraph also says "If this is non-nil, […] frame 
sizes can increase/decrease by one pixel". I.e. this says that setting 
the variable to non-nil makes further operations on frames to have 
one-pixel resolution — which is the same as what the "in order to set 
the size of a frame in pixels," tries to convey.