Subject: Re: bug#36225: 26.2.90; Can't build master

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:57:34 +0200

Am Sa., 15. Juni 2019 um 18:51 Uhr schrieb Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
>
> > From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:34:32 +0200
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > > The comment to CHECK_STRUCTS in src/config.h tells you what to do in
> > > this case.
> >
> > Yes, it says "If you change one of these structures, check that the
> > pdumper.c code is still valid", but since I didn't change the
> > structure, I can't decide whether the pdumper code is still valid.
> > Whoever changed the definition of Lisp_Buffer_Objfwd should make that
> > call.
>
> It says to update the pertinent hash in pdumper.c by manually copying
> the hash from dmpstruct.h.  The hash to be updated is called out by
> the error message.  So I think the information you need is there to
> fix your build.

That is not what I mean. Of course that fixes the build, that's not
the problem. But it would be incorrect and unsafe to blindly copy the
hash without investigating whether there were any changes to
Lisp_Buffer_Objfwd that would need to be reflected in pdumper.c.
That's the whole point of the hash check: force people to adapt
pdumper.c upon any struct change. That is what "If you change one of
these structures, check that the pdumper.c code is still valid" means:
whoever changed Lisp_Buffer_Objfwd (i.e., *not* me) needs to update
pdumper.c.