Subject: bug#36201: Inserting files with r *before* the address

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 02:27:10 -0600

tag 36201 moreinfo
stop

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 07:36:37PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> /bla/r filename is great, but do document how to insert the file
> *before* /bla/, not only just after it.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a built-in way to insert a file
before an address (am I missing something?).

One could probably come up with some incantation using multiline
commands (D/G/H/N/P):
https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html#Multiline-techniques

But I think this one is easier using gawk:

    $ echo FOO > bar
    $ seq 5 \
         | gawk '/5/ { while ((getline tmp < "bar")>0) { print tmp } } ; 1'
    1
    2
    3
    4
    FOO
    5

Or are you asking for a new feature of inserting a file before an
address?

regards,
 - assaf