Subject: Re: bug#36193: 26.2; 'set-window-scroll-bars' setting doesn't take effect in emacsclient session

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:41:16 +0200

tags 36193 fixed
close 36193 27.1
quit

 > I think this change needs to be called out in NEWS.

Done.

 > If you haven't already, please make sure you test the window-resizing
 > stuff on TTY frames, as your changes affect the code which deals with
 > that, and we know from bitter experience that it's somewhat fragile.

I had given it some limited testing and I've done a few further tests
now.  Inherently, the old behavior was incorrect in a number of ways.
For example, it was impossible to reduce a minibuffer-only frame to
one text line unless horizontal scroll bars were explicitly disabled
for that frame.  It's now possible to enable horizontal scroll bars on
minibuffer windows although it does not make much sense.

In either case, thanks for the reminder.  Unfortunately, as we know,
frame/window resizing routines depend on too many external factors so
any related changes will always tend to be fragile.

martin, trying to close this bug now