Subject: bug#36171: closed (Re: bug#36171: 25.1; Emacs displays Hebrew text incorrectly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36171: 25.1; Emacs displays Hebrew text incorrectly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36171: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36171
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36171: 25.1; Emacs displays Hebrew text incorrectly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:09:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 20:00:57 +0200
> 
> I think we can sign off on this issue. I have not seen the problem recur 
> in any of my documents.

Thanks, I'm closing the bug.

> Once again, thank you very much for all your help. It is a great relief 
> for me to resolve this issue.

This is also the first time we see a clear improvement from the very
recent addition of HarfBuzz support.

Subject: 25.1; Emacs displays Hebrew text incorrectly
From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:11:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs does not correctly display Hebrew text with vowels. The vowels
appear next to the consonants rather than beneath them. When they are
beneath the consonants they are not in the correct position. There are a
few other anomalies too, such as, the dagesh appears misplaced followed
by a circle. If I export my documents with Hebrew text in org mode to html
or odf then the Hebrew IS displayed correctly. I have tried changing the
font, installing "unicode-fonts" and a host of other solutions. I have
tried using different versions of Emacs. I use utf-8 as my default
encoding system. If I open the same text document in LibreOffice, again,
the text is displayed correctly. If I strip the Hebrew text of vowels
then the consonants appear correctly in Emacs. If I use
auto-composition-mode it makes no difference. The Hebrew text remains
incorrectly displayed

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
of 2017-09-15, modified by Debian built on trouble
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)

Configured using:
'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp 

--with-sound=alsa --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp 

--with-sound=alsa --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-wN2qS3/emacs25-25.1+1=. 
-fstack-protector-strong
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_ZA.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
flyspell-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
dired-omit-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
global-undo-tree-mode: t
undo-tree-mode: t
winner-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
global-visual-line-mode: t
visual-line-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el 
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-intl-fonts.el (source)...done
Loading recentf...done
Loading /home/red/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Starting new Ispell process aspell with default dictionary...
Wrote /home/red/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 1 buffer restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-table hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-table
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-publish hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-ocaml hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-asymptote hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-attach hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-tangle hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-perl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-w3m hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-habit hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-ruby hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-maxima hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-ledger hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-macs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-awk hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-gnus hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-ref hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-haskell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-inlinetask hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-timer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-archive hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-list hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-list
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-datetree hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-mouse hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-bbdb hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-calc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-eval hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-makefile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-man hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-id hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-id
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-macro hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-gnuplot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-rmail hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-md hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-scheme hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-feed hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-indent hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-sqlite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-org hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-ditaa hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-core hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-capture hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-io hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-crypt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-mobile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-mhe hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-html hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-texinfo hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-table hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-plantuml hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-src hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-src
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-org hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-plot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-sql hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-octave hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-sass hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-icalendar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-bibtex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-entities hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-irc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-mscgen hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-install hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-install
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-emacs-lisp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-java hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-js hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-docview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-exp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-ctags hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-lisp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-lilypond hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-comint hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-odt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-info
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-lob hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-matlab hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-css hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-picolisp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-agenda hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-eshell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-ascii hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-screen hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-python hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-dot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-colview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-faces hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-footnote hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-protocol hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-C hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-pcomplete hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-clock hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-element hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-element
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-version hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-version
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-clojure hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-R hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ox-beamer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-loaddefs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/org-compat hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-keys hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-fortran hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/red/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20190527/ob-shen hides 
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-shen

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail flyspell ispell org-eww
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir org-docview doc-view
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m dired-single iso-transl desktop
frameset transpose-frame org-pdfview pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio eieio-core mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile cus-edit pdf-view
bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util image-mode
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-ensure use-package-core
gnus-demon gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum nndraft nnmh gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-win nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source
message dired-x dired rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils calfw-org org-capture org-agenda
org-element avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func calfw format-spec holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs savehist subr-x advice undo-tree diff winner ring
remember edmacro kmacro leuven-theme recentf tree-widget wid-edit
cus-start cus-load finder-inf cl-seq cl-macs cl info package epg-config
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 434732 18001)
(symbols 48 49645 0)
(miscs 40 1972 3191)
(strings 32 131759 10159)
(string-bytes 1 4250030)
(vectors 16 43640)
(vector-slots 8 796717 10429)
(floats 8 582 60)
(intervals 56 1314 0)
(buffers 976 20))