Subject: Re: bug#36171: 25.1; Emacs displays Hebrew text incorrectly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 12:44:54 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 10:53:24 +0200
> 
> I have attached a sample document with problematic Hebrew taken from a 
> few of the files.

Ah, I see.  This document uses precomposed Hebrew characters from the
Alphabetic Presentation Forms block, and we didn't include those in
the regular expressions used for finding sequences we need to compose
for display.  I've now fixed this in Git, you should be able to
rebuild after syncing with Git, and then the problem should go away.

> (xft xfthb x)
> 
> > Emacs needs HarfBuzz the library, not the program.  What does the
> > following produce inside the latest Emacs you built from Git:
> >
> >    M-: (frame-parameter nil 'font-backend) RET

Yes, xfthb uses HarfBuzz to perform text shaping.

Thanks.