Subject: bug#36157: closed (Re: bug#36157: 27.0.50; ediff-files does not work after lexical-binding was enabled for ediff)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 23:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36157: 27.0.50; ediff-files does not work after lexical-binding was enabled for ediff

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36157: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36157
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36157: 27.0.50; ediff-files does not work after lexical-binding was enabled for ediff
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:05:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If there are no ideas how to fix this in a week or so, I suggest to
> revert the changeset while we consider the possible solutions,

Done in ef23c8b.

Subject: 27.0.50; ediff-files does not work after lexical-binding was enabled for ediff
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:11:48 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 X-Debbugs-CC:  [email-masked]

Hello,

After lexical-binding was enabled in ediff, doing ediff-files gives this
error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable file-A)
  ediff-find-file(file-A buf-A ediff-last-dir-A startup-hooks)
  ediff-files-internal("~/temp/d" "~/temp/a" nil nil ediff-files)
  ediff-files("~/temp/d" "~/temp/a")
  eval((ediff-files "~/temp/d" "~/temp/a") t)
  eval-expression((ediff-files "~/temp/d" "~/temp/a") nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (ediff-files "~/temp/d" "~/temp/a")
nil nil 127)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

Recipe:

Take any 2 files and do M-: (ediff-files "file1" "file2")

Commit:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=963d4e24263b0ff2add1a223f00387ca53d0658f

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2019-06-09
Repository revision: e4f12a1b1ffba07cc7d6f6e1aec5de9f09af616f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Open Text', version 11.0.11505
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.8
(Santiago)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-imagemagick
 --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master
 '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/' --with-harfbuzz
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kmodi/stowed/include
 -I/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/include/
 -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -Og' 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -Og'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib -L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib64
 -L/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib/ -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
 -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

--
Kaushal Modi