Subject: bug#36154: 26.2; read-passwd function creates a security issue

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:01:47 +1300

On 2019-10-10 13:49, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:
>> A potential solution to this would to make the low-level kill 
>> functions
>> respect a new `inhibit-kill-ring' variable, such that nothing would be
>> added to the kill ring if that was non-nil.
> 
> IMO, it would be bettter to rebind the kill commands to corresponding
> delete commands in read-passwd-map.

My main argument against that (at least as a complete solution) is that
is necessitates *knowing* what all the kill commands are, and what their
corresponding delete commands would be.

This would also mean maintaining that moving forwards for standard
commands; but that still wouldn't account for arbitrary third-party and
custom commands which call `kill-new'.

I think such remapping of standard commands would be entirely reasonable
as an *additional* step (particularly if it was wrapped into a minor 
mode),
but personally I think there is a greater benefit (with wider 
application)
in the `inhibit-kill-ring' notion.

-Phil