Subject: Re: bug#36118: segmentation fault in Totem

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 20:27:06 +0200

Hi Laura,

thank you for the bug report.

> I found a segmentation fault that happens with the current totem
> version that is installed with Guix. It occurs when the application is
> closed.
> I found it runnig Guix on top of an Ubuntu 18.04 distro. Then I tested
> it over a Fedora 30 and a Debian 9. Lastly, with Guix System v1.0.1.
>
> The outputs differ a little, but in all cases the three main lines appear:
>
> ---------------------------start here ------------------------------------------------------
> (totem:25833): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:50:35.676:
> gtk_window_present_with_time() should not be called with 0, or
> GDK_CURRENT_TIME as a timestamp, the timestamp should instead be
> gathered at the time the user initiated the request for the window to
> be shown
>
> (totem:25833): libpeas-WARNING **: 12:51:21.053: Type not found in
> introspection: 'PeasActivatable'
>
> (totem:25833): libpeas-WARNING **: 12:51:21.053: Method
> 'PeasActivatable.deactivate' was not found
> ------------------------------end here ---------------------------------------------------

These are not problematic.

Totem uses gstreamer, so the decoding of media files depends on the
installed codecs.  In fact, “/bin/totem” is wrapped with two variables
at build time: GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH and GRL_PLUGIN_PATH.

Can you tell us what gstreamer plugins you have installed (these are
packages starting with “gst-”) and what values the GST_* environment
variables have?

With GST_DEBUG=5 (or a lower number) you should also be able to see what
gstreamer plugin is being selected.  Then we could try to narrow the
fault down to a specific plugin and its libraries.

--
Ricardo