Subject: Re: bug#36110: find-dired not sorted on any field nor provides a way

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:26:57 +0200

On Jun 13 2019, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>>> +@code{'("-exec ls -ld @{@} +" . "-ld")}
>>
>> Oh, I see you've changed it to the "+" form.
>> It looks like this does give sorted output, but I find it surprising.
>> Is it assured?
>
> I verified on a directory with a large number of files that the output
> is not sorted. (I didn't see how it could be, given how find works.)
> But it does appear as if individual "chunks" are sorted, which can give
> the appearance of the whole output being sorted if you don't have a lot
> of files.

They are sorted by ls, for each invocation of it.  But it is unspecified
how find will split the invocations if there are more files than fit on
the command line.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."