Subject: Re: bug#36110: find-dired not sorted on any field nor provides a way

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 09:18:53 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:40:11 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > +@code{'("-exec ls -ld @{@} +" . "-ld")}
> 
> Oh, I see you've changed it to the "+" form.
> It looks like this does give sorted output, but I find it surprising.
> Is it assured?

It is assured because the GNU Find's documentation says this '+'
causes the command line to be created by appending the file names,
like xargs does.  However, problems should be expected when the number
of files becomes very large, subject to limitations of the target
platform.

> Anyway, this issue has been very recently fixed in bug#29513
> (of which this is a duplicate) via find-dired-refine-function.
> So I suggest not documenting the above.

We could document both ways.

Btw, the commit which fixed bug#29513 didn't call out the change in
NEWS, let alone in the manual, so we should definitely improve the
docs regarding this issue anyway.

Thanks.