Subject: Be explicit here. Make a statement or ask a question.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 20:20:19 +0000

I use:  Editor:      GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)

        Hyperbole:   7.0.3
        Sys Type:    x86_64-w64-mingw32
        OS Type:     windows-nt
        Window Sys:  w32
        News Reader: Gnus v5.13

[Although, I've confirmed this also happens on my Mac, with the same
Hyperbole version/Emacs version]

Report:

Howdy! I don't know if this is actually a bug, but I've run into some
weirdness with Global buttons.

Let's say that I've created a Global button to a Notes file, which lives
in my Org folder in my Home directory ("~/Org/Notes.org"). The button
metadata looks like this:

> ("Notes" nil nil link-to-file ("../Org/Notes.org") "USERNAMEHERE" "20190605:19:57:51" nil nil)

When I initially created the button, calling it with {C-h h g a}
correctly opened the document. All good so far.

Then I got to working on something else. Later, when I tried to call the
button again, and got this error:

> hpath:find: (hpath:find): "Org/Notes.org" does not exist

The file definitely exists, and hasn't been changed. But what *did*
change was my current working directory.

The problem -- if it actually *is* a problem -- seems to be in the
assumption Hyperbole makes that I'm always calling global buttons inside
the "~/.hyperb" folder.

When I work with other files, and change what folder I'm in, Hyperbole
doesn't seem to know to change the current working directory back to
"~/.hyperb" -- so, when I call global buttons, it's calling the relative
path ("..Org/Notes.org") from the place I'm currently working (say,
"~/Work/Project 1").

If I changed the button metadata to read ("~/Org/Notes.org") the button
immediately works as intended -- but having to manually alter every
global button seems like odd behavior.

Like I said, I don't know if this is a bug, or what. I usually assume
it's me doing something dumb to make this stuff happen -- but to try to
eliminate user error I quickly wrote an empty ".emacs" file that *only*
loaded Hyperbole, and I still saw the same behavior.

No idea! Hyperbole seems cool -- if it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd
love to fix it!

etb