Subject: [bug#36093] [PATCH 2/2] pack: Add '--entry-point'.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 12:21:32 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Also, in general, do we conflate "squashfs" and "singularity"?  It has been
>> that way in guix/scripts/pack.scm's squashfs-image before this patch already
>> and a few extra files can't hurt, but we could also just provide a
>> function "singularity-image" or something.
>
> Yes, we do conflate Singularity and Squashfs, but I think there’s no
> other “container tool” that uses Squashfs anyway.

When I originally added the squashfs support to “guix pack” I had
Singularity in mind, but since it didn’t do anything particular for
Singularity I named it “squashfs”.

squashfs is used as a format by Snap (which we don’t explicitly support
yet), but it is also generally useful as a way to share disk images,
which could for example be used with lxc containers.

> We could rename it to “singularity”, but it turns out Singularity 3.x
> has its own image format unimaginatively called SIF, so perhaps we’re
> better off with the status quo.
>
> Thoughts?  Ricardo?

In my opinion, going forward we should not conflate “squashfs” and
Singularity more and eventually *add* a format handler for Singularity
3.x.

But these changes to the “squashfs” format handler look fine to me.
Let’s deal with Singularity 3.x later.

Thanks!

--
Ricardo