Subject: bug#36090: Update: A case where this isn't a problem

From: Norman Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:10:53 +0000

Update:

Oddly, this appears not to be a problem if I use Tramp to open a file 
/scp:localhost#2222:path/to/file.txt -- this is a file on a VM (FreeBSD 
as it happens) running on localhost, and with the ssh port NATted to 
local port 2222.  In this case, file.txt can be either 
version-controlled or not.

Below, I've reverted to Tramp 2.4.1, which is the version of Tramp 
built-in to this emacs.

Relevant contents of the *Messages* buffer, with tramp-verbose set to 
10:

Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:localhost#2222:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...
Tramp: Encoding remote file 
‘/scp:localhost#2222:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’ 
with ‘(env GZIP= gzip <%s | openssl enc -base64)’...done
Tramp: Decoding local file 
‘/var/folders/f5/vh0d0ls94_j5s4bv49sz90s40000gn/T/tramp.PQpLR4.c’ 
with ‘(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region beg end) (let 
((coding-system-for-write (quote binary)) (coding-system-for-read (quote 
binary))) (apply (quote tramp-call-process-region) (quote 
(tramp-file-name scp nil nil localhost 2222 
/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c nil)) 
(point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t nil 
(cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))’...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:localhost#2222:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...done

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for 
/scp:localhost#2222:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:localhost#2222:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...done

Just to confirm, for the other remote case, also with tramp-verbose set 
to 10...

Tramp: Opening connection for helium using scp...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh   -o ControlMaster=auto -o 
ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none helium’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘helium’
Tramp: Opening connection for helium using scp...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...
Tramp: Encoding remote file 
‘/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’ 
with ‘(env GZIP= gzip <%s | openssl enc -base64)’...done
Tramp: Decoding local file 
‘/var/folders/f5/vh0d0ls94_j5s4bv49sz90s40000gn/T/tramp.FZ1PVN.c’ 
with ‘(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region beg end) (let 
((coding-system-for-write (quote binary)) (coding-system-for-read (quote 
binary))) (apply (quote tramp-call-process-region) (quote 
(tramp-file-name scp nil nil helium nil 
/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c nil)) 
(point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t nil 
(cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))’...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...done

;;;; hang here, then C-g

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for 
/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...done

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for 
/scp:helium:/usr/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c...done
Tramp: Inserting 
‘/scp:helium:/home/norman/checkouts/itm/sso/misc/ldap-info-wrapper.c’...done
Quit

-- 
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK