Subject: bug#36089: 26.2; Emacs window creation with multiple frames

From: André Marçais <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 09:21:53 -0400

When I go to compile a program using M-x compile it shows the
*compilation* buffer in a new window in the active frame, which is
intuitive when there is only one frame open. However, in Emacs I often
have multiple frames open and visible (like with a multi monitor
setup). In this case Emacs still opens the *compilation* buffer in the
active frame even if the buffer is visible in another frame.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.8)
 of 2019-04-12 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
Recent messages:
Compilation finished
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Saving file /home/cpt_pex/Documents/tests/rust/src/main.rs...
Wrote /home/cpt_pex/Documents/tests/rust/src/main.rs
Compilation finished
(No changes need to be saved)
Compilation finished
<s-end> is undefined
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  fic-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/cpt_pex/.emacs.d/lisp/cmake-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs doc-view jka-compr image-mode flyspell ispell shell pcomplete
face-remap dired dired-loaddefs misearch multi-isearch term/xterm xterm
vc-git diff-mode conf-mode server windmove preview-latex auto-loads
tex-site fic-mode mcfn-mode company cmake-mode thingatpt crystal-mode
pcase smie tablegen-mode llvm-mode yasnippet cl-extra elec-pair
help-mode tup-mode rust-mode derived edmacro kmacro json map compile
comint ansi-color ring rx easy-mmode time-date disp-table wombat-theme
paren whitespace hl-line cus-start cus-load finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 239422 10008)
 (symbols 48 29973 1)
 (miscs 40 430 429)
 (strings 32 55836 1421)
 (string-bytes 1 1732560)
 (vectors 16 28252)
 (vector-slots 8 678190 9220)
 (floats 8 171 220)
 (intervals 56 2500 35)
 (buffers 992 28))