Subject: bug#36076: Manual should clarify that glibc-utf8-locales is needed by default on foreign distros

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:40:05 +0200

Hello Giovanni,

Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> We should fix it, notably because libc automatically falls back to the
>> normalized codeset (that is, if you choose “en_US.uTF--8”, it eventually
>> tries to read data for “en_US.utf8”.)  I wonder why the
>> ‘install-locales’ rule doesn’t to it.
>
> Me too: do you think it's appropriate to report this upstream?
> I can manage this if needed, of course.

It would be great, yes!

>> The “normalized codeset” is described in the libc manual (info "(libc)
>> Using gettextized software") and (info "(libc) Locale Names").
>
> Herm... I'm still too web dependent, I have to correctly install all
> infos :-O

Just type these ‘info’ commands and it should Just Work on Guix System.
:-)

> Reading your refactored build-locale in (gnu build locale), as used
> e.g. in (gnu system locale), makes me wonder if Guix could allow users to
> define their preferred locales in a (operating-system ...) declaration,
> having "guix system" building only the needed ones... but that's another
> story

That’s already the case.

It would be nice to have it for Guix on foreign distros, as discussed in
the “Parameterized packages” thread.

Thanks,
Ludo’.