Subject: bug#36076: Manual should clarify that glibc-utf8-locales is needed by default on foreign distros

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 16:49:14 +0200

Hi Ludo'.

Sorry I could not reply earlier.

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> We should fix it, notably because libc automatically falls back to the
> normalized codeset (that is, if you choose “en_US.uTF--8”, it eventually
> tries to read data for “en_US.utf8”.)  I wonder why the
> ‘install-locales’ rule doesn’t to it.

Me too: do you think it's appropriate to report this upstream?
I can manage this if needed, of course.

> The “normalized codeset” is described in the libc manual (info "(libc)
> Using gettextized software") and (info "(libc) Locale Names").

Herm... I'm still too web dependent, I have to correctly install all
infos :-O

> Anyway, I’ve posted patches to refactor things a bit and to create those
> symlinks in ‘glibc-locales’:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36116
>
> Let me know what you think.

I'm still not skilled enough to think anything useful about that patches
:-)... exept they looks great AFAIU! Thank you for fixing that so
quickly!

Reading your refactored build-locale in (gnu build locale), as used
e.g. in (gnu system locale), makes me wonder if Guix could allow users to
define their preferred locales in a (operating-system ...) declaration,
having "guix system" building only the needed ones... but that's another
story

Thanks! Gio'.

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures