Subject: Re: bug#36076: Manual should clarify that glibc-utf8-locales is needed by default on foreign distros

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 00:46:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Ludo’

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I honestly don’t see how it could be clearer:
>
>  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Locales
>
> Could you propose a patch to this section?

I think what is missing is a statement that the systemd unit for 
guix-daemon on foreign distos runs guix-daemon with a locale that is only 
provided in glibc-utf8-locales.

I clairification could be something like, "The provided unit for running 
guix-daemon on a foreign distribution configures the daemon to run with a 
local that is only provided in glibc-utf8-locales. Therefore, 
glibc-utf8-locacles should be installed in root's profile, or the unit 
should be configured to use a locale of your choosing."

Of course, that only makes sense if I'm correct about what is going on. I 
can propose a patch when Gio' and I figure it out.

Best,
Jack