Subject: Re: [bug#36071] [PATCH] gnu: Add leela-zero.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:38:14 +0200

Hi,

Thank you for the package.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 23:03, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> a écrit :
> >
> >> Does the game run at all if we don’t download additional network
> >> weight data?
> >>
> >> There’s a debate as to whether trained neural network parameters can
> >> be considered “source”: <https://lwn.net/Articles/760142/>.
> >

[...]

> My point is about whether these trained neural network data are
> something that we could distribute per the FSDG.

[...]

>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903634

In addition, the thread on debian-devel exposes arguments (summarized by LWN).
See there:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/07/msg00153.html

> Perhaps we could do the same, but I’d like to hear what others think.

I need myself to digest the issue.
Hum? FSF has never risen the issue---or I am not aware of.

Aside the practical discussion about this package---thank you for the
work!---, there is a real concern about Reproducibility and Freedom
with the weights of statistical models. However, this is perhaps not
so far from free client / proprietary database situation.

Well, it should be better to discuss this concern on
guix-devel---risking bikeshedding. :-)
At least to collect contradictory arguments.

All the best,
simon