Subject: Re: bug#3607: 23.0.94; odd character in fringe.el

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:52:20 +0200

>> It is a good change, because the likelyhood of a valid utf-8 file being
>> a proper latin-1 file is extremely low.

> Ok.  For that, we must do:
>   (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-8) 
> somewhere.  I at first thought it could be done by
> `setup-function' of Latin-1 language environment.  Actually,
> when a user does C-x C-m L Latin-1 RET, it works.

> But, when emacs starts up, it calls set-locale-environment,
> and it at first calls set-language-environment then
> overrides coding-system setups.  So, at the moment, I don't
> have a good idea other than this very ad-hoc change for 23.1.

Actually, AFAIK the "unlikely false positives" property of the utf-8
encoding is not only true when applied to latin-1 files but also to most
other encodings.  So really utf-8 should probably always be first (not
only for latin-1 environments), except maybe for some envs where there's
a knows non-negligible risk of false positives.

        Stefan