Subject: bug#3607: 23.0.94; odd character in fringe.el

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:49:32 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Current Emacs doesn't give utf-8 the higher priority than
> > iso-8859-1 in Latin-X language environment.  Are you
> > proposing such a change?  I can't decide that is good or not
> > because I'm not that familiar with such locales.

> It is a good change, because the likelyhood of a valid utf-8 file being
> a proper latin-1 file is extremely low.

Ok.  For that, we must do:

  (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-8) 

somewhere.  I at first thought it could be done by
`setup-function' of Latin-1 language environment.  Actually,
when a user does C-x C-m L Latin-1 RET, it works.

But, when emacs starts up, it calls set-locale-environment,
and it at first calls set-language-environment then
overrides coding-system setups.  So, at the moment, I don't
have a good idea other than this very ad-hoc change for 23.1.

--- mule-cmds.el.~1.360.~	2009-04-09 03:03:17.000000000 +0900
+++ mule-cmds.el	2009-06-29 16:45:08.000000000 +0900
@@ -2643,6 +2643,10 @@
 		   (not (coding-system-equal coding-system
 					     locale-coding-system)))
 	  (prefer-coding-system coding-system)
+	  ;; Even if we prefer "iso-latin-1", it is better to detect
+	  ;; UTF-8.
+	  (if (eq (coding-system-base coding-system) 'iso-latin-1)
+	      (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-8))
 	  ;; Fixme: perhaps prefer-coding-system should set this too.
 	  ;; But it's not the time to do such a fundamental change.
 	  (setq default-sendmail-coding-system coding-system)

For 23.2, I think we should re-design language-info-alist.

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]