Subject: Re: bug#3607: 23.0.94; odd character in fringe.el

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:25:47 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> > I've just added "coding: utf-8" cookie to fringe.el.

> Thanks.  But there is another bug here: a utf-8 file should be
> recognized as such even in a latin-1 locale (i.e. utf-8 should always
> have (one of) the highest priority).

Current Emacs doesn't give utf-8 the higher priority than
iso-8859-1 in Latin-X language environment.  Are you
proposing such a change?  I can't decide that is good or not
because I'm not that familiar with such locales.

> IIUC this is done right in GNU/Linux but not under
> Windows.

?? Even on GNU/Linux (ubuntu), when I start emacs as this:

% LANG=de_DE emacs

iso-8859-1 has higher priority than utf-8.

Or, do you mean the other applications on GNU/Linux?

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]