Subject: Re: bug#3607: 23.0.94; odd character in fringe.el

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:20:15 +0300

On 2009-06-18 11:54 (-0700), Drew Adams wrote:

> I see this in emacs -Q (on MS Windows), however, so I wonder if it
> isn't a bug.
>
> And I wonder how you can see it as being UTF-8 encoded - are you using
> emacs -Q?
>
> I don't see any local-variable thingy that would specify that the file
> is to be UTF-8 encoded.

Yes, the file shows correctly with "emacs -Q lisp/fringe.el" too. And it
is UTF-8 encoded file.

    $ file lisp/fringe.el
    lisp/fringe.el: UTF-8 Unicode English text

My Debian GNU/Linux system uses UTF-8 locale (as all GNU/Linux systems
do these days). Emacs probably detects my environment and uses correct
encoding settings. But I don't know Emacs works - except everything just
works. :-)

It really seems that your default environment is something other than
UTF-8, something single-byte.