Subject: Re: bug#3607: 23.0.94; odd character in fringe.el

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:41:19 +0300

On 2009-06-18 11:00 (-0700), Drew Adams wrote:

> I don't claim this is a bug, but perhaps someone could take a look to
> be sure.
>  
> In fringe.el, I see this text: Pavel Jan=c3=adk. The next-to-last
> character shows in my Emacs with face `escape-glyph'. This is what
> `C-u C-x =' shows:

Perhaps you know most of this already but here's some information
anyway. The name is "Pavel Janík" and it displays just fine in my
system. File fringe.el is UTF-8-encoded.

When encoded in UTF-8 the character í (U+00CD) consists of two bytes,
0xC3 and 0xAD. When some system interpretes those bytes as separete
ISO-8859-1-encoded characters they are Ã (0xC3) and a soft hyphen
(0xAD). This is what your system seems to have done:

> preferred charset: iso-8859-1 (Latin-1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1))
>        code point: 0xAD

>   name: SOFT HYPHEN

So it sounds like some kind of singlebyte-multibyte encoding problem.