Subject: bug#36069: Menu-based installer unusable through noVNC

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:50:02 +0200

Hello,

Björn Höfling <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Guacamole and noVNC have no common roots, AFAIK. So, with a different
> VNC-Software showing the same problems, I decided to re-open this bug,
> though I have no proof that it is really a Guix-Problem. At least
> people who want to install Guix would be annoyed and might run away. As
> Robert said, he didn't experience this with any other Distro, that could
> be a hint we are doing something wrong here.

I agree that this is a problem, I’m trying to see what we could do.  :-)
We’re just using “normal” kernel functionality (KMS), so it’s not
obvious to me that Guix itself is doing something wrong.  My guess is
that other distros don’t use kmscon and thus don’t trigger this
particular issue.

> I guess you (Ludovic) have tried the installer with QEMU and its
> VNC-Server, maybe even with different VNC-clients?

I haven’t tried this, but I agree it’d be a good thing to do!

> We could try different setups in that directions.
>
> We could look extensively at the code with the mode switches and compare
> it with specs about mode-switching? Until now, I have no knowledge in
> that area.

You mean kmscon, right?

Thanks,
Ludo’.