Subject: Re: bug#36069: Menu-based installer unusable through noVNC

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:06:03 +0200

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 16:09:48 +0200
Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On 25. Jun 2019, at 15:59, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I think Robert concluded that the bug was in noVNC.  
> 
> Rather, I couldn’t prove the bug was anywhere else.
> 
> > What we’d need is either something to fix on our side (but there’s
> > apparently nothing), or something to report to noVNC, or a
> > workaround we could have on our side specifically for this use
> > case.  
> 
> It seems noVNC isn’t involved here, though, with the only clearly
> common factor being Guix, so maybe the bug is there after all? (At
> least, as far as I can tell, Guacamole does not involve noVNC.)

Guacamole and noVNC have no common roots, AFAIK. So, with a different
VNC-Software showing the same problems, I decided to re-open this bug,
though I have no proof that it is really a Guix-Problem. At least
people who want to install Guix would be annoyed and might run away. As
Robert said, he didn't experience this with any other Distro, that could
be a hint we are doing something wrong here.

I guess you (Ludovic) have tried the installer with QEMU and its
VNC-Server, maybe even with different VNC-clients?

We could try different setups in that directions.

We could look extensively at the code with the mode switches and compare
it with specs about mode-switching? Until now, I have no knowledge in
that area.

Björn