Subject: bug#36069: Menu-based installer unusable through noVNC

From: Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 13:25:52 +0200

Hello Ludo,

thanks for looking into this.

> On 5. Jun 2019, at 12:39, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I’ve never used noVNC, but doesn’t it allow you to zoom out or
> something?  The kernel (KMS) knows what it’s doing, so it seems to me
> that the problem is that noVNC doesn’t realize what the actual screen
> size is.  Does the Internet have something to say wrt. noVNC vs. kmscon?

I don’t seem to get any controls to resize the display; in previous
situations it has seemed to switch modes correctly automatically. That
said, I’m happy to believe that the bug is with noVNC — I’ve reported
it with arpnetworks and will pass it on to noVNC once I know which
version is running.

> BTW, for your VPS, wouldn’t it be easier to bypass the installation
> altogether?  That is, you write a config that you want to use, you
> create a QCOW2 image or whatever is suitable for your VPS, and you boot
> that directly.

That’s a nice idea; it turns out that this provider does not appear to
give access to the disk images.

Thanks,
Robert