Subject: Re: bug#36068: 27.0.50; Warning: unescaped character literals `?)' detected, `?\)' expected!

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 08:06:23 -0400

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sometimes, out of nowhere, when I byte compile my init file (with my
> config loaded of course), I get hundreds (!) of warnings
>
> .gnu-emacs.el:22:1:Warning: unescaped character literals `?)' detected, `?\)'
>     expected!
>
> Dunno if it happens when there is a syntax error in the file, or just
> Heisenbug like.  When this has happened once, I cannot get back to a
> normal compilation, compiling any Elisp file gives me the above
> warnings.  I have to restart Emacs.  Then everything is good.
>
> I have still open such an ill session, maybe it can help with the
> diagnosis?

Hmm, is lread--unescaped-character-literals non-nil?  It looks like the
variable can only get cleared due to the let-binding in load, so if it
somehow got set outside of that, then you would see continual warnings
from it.