Subject: bug#36068: 27.0.50; Warning: unescaped character literals `?)' detected, `?\)' expected!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 09:50:47 -0400

tags 36068 + confirmed
quit

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hmm, is lread--unescaped-character-literals non-nil?  It looks like
>> the variable can only get cleared due to the let-binding in load, so
>> if it somehow got set outside of that, then you would see continual
>> warnings from it.
>
> Yes, its value is (41).

Ah, I think the problem can be triggered any time you `read' an unescaped
literal outside of `load'.  E.g., from emacs -Q:

    M-: (read "?)") RET

or even just

    M-: ?) RET

Now any byte-compilation will report unescaped `?)'.  You can

    (setq lread--unescaped-character-literals nil)

to stop it.