Subject: Re: bug#36067: 27.0.50; Edebug leaves undefined RET in minibuffer

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:59:05 +0200

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> > sorry, no recipe.  Quite often when I have used edebug, I think often I
> > killed the session by going to top-level (q), normal RET in the
> > minibuffer doesn't work any more.  Hitting the key RET does nothing.  I
> > have to restart Emacs (I need to close it with the mouse or something
> > like that).
>
> Do you mean that you're stuck in the minibuffer too?  Or just that the
> minibuffer becomes non-functional, while other normal typing still
> works.

The latter.  I'm not stuck in the minibuffer.  RET not working in the
minibuffer is actually the only symptom.

> > I have no clue why this happens.  Dunno if it is my fault.  Anyone else
> > seeing this?
>
> Don't think I've ever seen that before.  I know the 'transient' package
> (which magit now uses for its popup UI), can have a bad interaction with
> edebug when trying to debug its code.  I think it's due to how it messes
> with transient keymaps in post/pre comman hooks.  Maybe you have
> something similar happen here?

I'll try to find out when I see this the next time.  I tried in the past
but gave up since it was APITA without working minibuffers.

The reason why I created the bug report was that I saw the issue quite
often, while edebugging quite different things.  I hadn't the feeling
that it was specific to the debugged code.  Could still be just Helm
interfering with Edebug or something like that, yes.  Hope I can find
out the next time.

Thanks so far,

Michael.