Subject: Fix for debootstrap

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2019 11:52:27 -0700

The attached patch includes a fix so that debootstrap can be run in a
single patch. Currently, this fails:

  debootstrap --arch=amd64 buster $(mktemp -d) http://deb.debian.org/debian

With this in the log:

/gnu/store/ah0rr88xmn28f32whhpbdcxwind0c74z-debootstrap-1.0.114/share/debootstrap/functions:
line 1056: chroot: command not found
/gnu/store/ah0rr88xmn28f32whhpbdcxwind0c74z-debootstrap-1.0.114/share/debootstrap/functions:
line 1062: grep: command not found
/gnu/store/ah0rr88xmn28f32whhpbdcxwind0c74z-debootstrap-1.0.114/share/debootstrap/functions:
line 1062: head: command not found
/gnu/store/ah0rr88xmn28f32whhpbdcxwind0c74z-debootstrap-1.0.114/share/debootstrap/functions:
line 1062: cut: command not found
/gnu/store/ah0rr88xmn28f32whhpbdcxwind0c74z-debootstrap-1.0.114/share/debootstrap/functions:
line 1062: sed: command not found

The workaround documented in the package description is to use
--foreign-arch and then follow up with a chroot call into to the newly
created chroot and finish up running /debootstrap/debootstrap, but this
fails for other reasons as well (/bin/sh in /debootstrap/debootstrap is
set to /gnu/store.../bin/sh which isn't present in the Debian
chroot)... and is a bit cumbersome for the end-user.

I *think* the best fix for this is to fix the hard-coded PATH in several
places places to also include $PATH, which I've proposed upstream:

  https://bugs.debian.org/929889

The attached patch approximates the proposed upstream patch for guix,
and works for me so you can do a single call to debootstrap without the
complicated chroot /debootstrap/debootstrap PATH-setting dance.

live well,
  vagrant

From bb00c031e0037eb8edd9db2ab06f630109237d0a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 11:34:33 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] gnu: debootstrap: Workaround for PATH issues.

* gnu/packages/debian (debootstrap):
  [arguments]: Substitute PATH to include $PATH.
  [description]: Remove obsolete workaround from description.
---
 gnu/packages/debian.scm | 11 ++++++-----
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/debian.scm b/gnu/packages/debian.scm
index 1b401bc946..f94f49c51b 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/debian.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/debian.scm
@@ -154,6 +154,11 @@ contains the archive keys used for that.")
                  (("/usr") ubuntu))
                (substitute* "debootstrap"
                  (("=/usr") (string-append "=" out)))
+               ;; Ensure PATH works both in guix and within the debian chroot
+               ;; workaround for: https://bugs.debian.org/929889
+               (substitute* "functions"
+                 (("PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin")
+                  "PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"))
                (substitute* (find-files "scripts" ".")
                  (("/usr/share/zoneinfo") (string-append tzdata "/share/zoneinfo")))
                #t)))
@@ -184,9 +189,5 @@ contains the archive keys used for that.")
     (description "Debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from
 scratch, without requiring the availability of @code{dpkg} or @code{apt}.
 It does this by downloading .deb files from a mirror site, and carefully
-unpacking them into a directory which can eventually be chrooted into.
-
-It is recommended to run @code{debootstrap --foreign --arch=...} and then
-@code{chroot} into the directory, set the PATH and run @code{debootstrap
---second-stage} after.")
+unpacking them into a directory which can eventually be chrooted into.")
     (license license:gpl2)))
-- 
2.20.1