Subject: 26.2; Python Documentation String Indent In Auto Fill Mode

From: ricercar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 11:01:49 +0200

There is some peculiar behavior when using auto-fill-mode editing Python
code. For example if I start typing the following:

def some_function(keyword_argument0, keyword_argument1,
                   keyword_argument2='foobar'):
     """
     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

and press Enter, it will look like this:

def some_function(keyword_argument0, keyword_argument1,
                   keyword_argument2='foobar'):
     """
     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do
                   eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
                   aliqua.

That is, the subsequent lines of the documentation string are indented
as to match the indentation of the second line of the list of keyword
arguments, rather than four columns as I would expect.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2019-04-12 built on lgw01-amd64-060
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
  '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
  --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --program-suffix=26 --with-modules --with-file-notification=inotify
  --with-mailutils --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets
  --with-lcms2 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs26-CYbeHB/emacs26-26.2~1.gitfd1b34b=. -fstack-protector-strong
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -no-pie' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
  -no-pie''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95625 6893)
  (symbols 48 20412 1)
  (miscs 40 45 104)
  (strings 32 28489 1240)
  (string-bytes 1 747836)
  (vectors 16 14756)
  (vector-slots 8 507538 7294)
  (floats 8 49 68)
  (intervals 56 256 0)
  (buffers 992 11))