Subject: bug#36051: closed (Re: bug#36051: "guix import gnu" says public key is not in keyring)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 19:42:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36051: "guix import gnu" says public key is not in keyring

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36051: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36051
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36051: "guix import gnu" says public key is not in keyring
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> (by way of Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>)
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 21:41:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Jesse,

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> (by way of Jesse Gibbons
<[email-masked]>) skribis:

> On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 18:13:16 +0200
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> 
>> Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>> > Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.cZoC7H
>> > From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
>> >  ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                  170KiB/s 00:00
>> > [##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or
>> > directory  
>> 
>> The real issue here is that ‘gpgv’ cannot be found in $PATH.
>> 
>> I think you have to run “guix install gnupg” to fix it.
>> 
>> HTH,
>> Ludo’.
>
> I pointed that out at the end of my bug report. I thought guix was
> supposed to be stateless, with behavior independent on what the user has
> installed, so I recommended adding gnupg as a propagated input so it
> wouldn't be dependant on a user (or administrator) installing gnupg.
> If it is preferrable not to install gnupg alongside guix, then I will
> note in the docs that gnupg must be found in $PATH for "guix import
> gnu", "guix import elpa" and "guix refresh" to be successful, and then
> we can close this issue.

I finally went ahead and mentioned it in the manual in commit
d34e9114e679666dfbf7caf577117010eca20520.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: "guix import gnu" says public key is not in keyring
From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 21:33:51 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am trying to define the gnurobots package using guix import. I try
the following and get the corresponding results:

~$ guix import gnu gnurobots

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.sRnZ4I
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz...
 gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz  173KiB       163KiB/s 00:01
[##################] 100.0%

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.cZoC7H
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
 ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                  170KiB/s 00:00
[##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or directory
guix import: warning: signature verification failed for
`ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz' guix import:
warning: (could be because the public key is not in your keyring) guix
import: error: 'gnu' import failed

~$ guix import gnu --key-download=interactive gnurobots

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.e0KAGy
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz...
 gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz  173KiB       162KiB/s 00:01
[##################] 100.0%

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.lStU1V
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
 ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                  111KiB/s 00:00
[##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or directory
guix import: warning: signature verification failed for
`ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz' guix import:
warning: (could be because the public key is not in your keyring) guix
import: error: 'gnu' import failed

~$ guix import gnu --key-download=always gnurobots

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.DtCU1Y
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz...
 gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz  173KiB       178KiB/s 00:01
[##################] 100.0%

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.QOlbzN
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
 ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                   48KiB/s 00:00
[##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or directory
guix import: warning: signature verification failed for
`ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz' guix import:
warning: (could be because the public key is not in your keyring) guix
import: error: 'gnu' import failed

 ~$ guix import gnu --key-download=never gnurobots

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.fgTq6E
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz...
 gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz  173KiB       132KiB/s 00:01
[##################] 100.0%

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.v4rsPY
From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
 ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                   51KiB/s 00:00
[##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or directory
guix import: warning: signature verification failed for
`ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz' guix import:
warning: (could be because the public key is not in your keyring) guix
import: error: 'gnu' import failed

It appears the --key-download option does nothing, even though the
documentation says --key-download=always should automatically
install the missing keys, and there should be a prompt if the option
is omitted. This is fixed when I install gnupg. It appears guix needs
gnupg as a propagated input for this function to work statelessly.

If anyone has a contrary opinion, please express it. I will
make, test, and submit a patch on Monday if nobody beats me to it.

--Jesse