Subject: bug#36051: "guix import gnu" says public key is not in keyring

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> (by way of Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 12:43:56 -0600

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 18:13:16 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.cZoC7H
> > From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/gnurobots-1.2.0.tar.gz.sig...
> >  ….0.tar.gz.sig  72B                  170KiB/s 00:00
> > [##################] 100.0% In execvp of gpgv: No such file or
> > directory  
> 
> The real issue here is that ‘gpgv’ cannot be found in $PATH.
> 
> I think you have to run “guix install gnupg” to fix it.
> 
> HTH,
> Ludo’.

I pointed that out at the end of my bug report. I thought guix was
supposed to be stateless, with behavior independent on what the user has
installed, so I recommended adding gnupg as a propagated input so it
wouldn't be dependant on a user (or administrator) installing gnupg.
If it is preferrable not to install gnupg alongside guix, then I will
note in the docs that gnupg must be found in $PATH for "guix import
gnu", "guix import elpa" and "guix refresh" to be successful, and then
we can close this issue.

Thanks,
-Jessez