Subject: [Bret Needle] Re: bug#36036: Visual Studio 2019 compiler errors not detected/recognized by compile.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 23:41:36 +0200

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
Subject: Re: bug#36036: Visual Studio 2019 compiler errors not
 detected/recognized by compile.el
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
From: Bret Needle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 17:58:45 -0700

Hello Lars Ingebrigtsen.

Thanks for your follow-up and sorry for the omission.  This message 
occurs when I compile with the diagnostics setting set to "classic":

ClCompile:
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual 
Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.22.27905\bin\HostX86\x64\CL.exe 
/c /ZI /JMC /nologo /W3 /WX- /diagnostics:classic /sdl /Od /D _DEBUG /D 
_CONSOLE /D _UNICODE /D UNICODE /Gm- /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:precise 
/Qspectre /permissive- /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Zc:inline /std:c++17 
/Fo"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc142.pdb" /Gd /TP /FC /errorReport:queue 
Lesson08.cpp
   Lesson08.cpp
c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.cpp(9): error C3861: 'bogus': 
identifier not found [c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.vcxproj]
Done Building Project "c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.vcxproj" (Rebuild target(s)) -- 
FAILED.
Done Building Project "c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08.sln" (rebuild target(s)) -- FAILED.

This message occurs when I compile with the diagnostics setting set to 
"column":

ClCompile:
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual 
Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.22.27905\bin\HostX86\x64\CL.exe 
/c /ZI /JMC /nologo /W3 /WX- /diagnostics:column /sdl /Od /D _DEBUG /D 
_CONSOLE /D _UNICODE /D UNICODE /Gm- /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:precise 
/Qspectre /permissive- /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Zc:inline /std:c++17 
/Fo"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc142.pdb" /Gd /TP /FC /errorReport:queue 
Lesson08.cpp
   Lesson08.cpp
c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.cpp(9,4): error C3861: 'bogus': 
identifier not found [c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.vcxproj]
Done Building Project "c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08\Lesson08.vcxproj" (Rebuild target(s)) -- 
FAILED.
Done Building Project "c:\Users\Bret\Documents\Visual Studio 
2019\Projects\Lesson08\Lesson08.sln" (rebuild target(s)) -- FAILED.

I encourage you or the bug fixer to implement search patterns that 
successfully recognize both messages.

Regards, Bret Needle

On 10/9/2019 4:22 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Bret Needle <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The default setting of the diagnostic mode option
>> (/diagnostic:classic|column|caret) is now column when creating new C++
>> (VC) projects with VS 2019.?? This mode produces compiler error
>> messages in the following format:
>>
>> File name(line number, column number): error message ...
>>
>> This new format is not recognized by the Microsoft (msft) regular
>> expression check in compile.el.
> Do you have some actual sample output from this compiler?  That will
> make it easier to check whether a fix actually works.
>

-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no