Subject: bug#36022: 26.2.50; errors byte-compiling gnus.el

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 13:09:01 +0200

Byte-compiling lisp/gnus/gnus.el is broken on emacs-26, this is what
happens here after removing the corresponding gnus.elc file:

,----
| make[1]: Verzeichnis „/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp“ wird betreten
| EMACSLOADPATH= '../src/emacs' -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --eval '(setq load-prefer-newer t)'  -f batch-byte-compile gnus/gnus.el
| 
| In gnus-interactive:
| gnus/gnus.el:3335:15:Error: Forgot to expand macro gnus-data-header in (gnus-data-header (gnus-data-find (gnus-summary-article-number)))
| gnus/gnus.el:3337:11:Error: Forgot to expand macro gnus-data-find in (gnus-data-find (gnus-summary-article-number))
| gnus/gnus.el:3337:29:Error: Forgot to expand macro gnus-summary-article-number in (gnus-summary-article-number)
| make[1]: *** [Makefile:297: gnus/gnus.elc] Fehler 1
`----

The same error occurs on a fresh bootstrap, however I can successfully
byte-compile gnus.elc with a snapshot from May 12, so something has
broken in the meantime on emacs-26.

In GNU Emacs 26.2.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32)
 of 2019-05-31 built on turtle
Repository revision: b3df3729596332a39404c364798a61bfef2adcc2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --host x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --without-pop
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-wide-int --disable-silent-rules --without-compress-install
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/usr/local/src/emacs=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DDEBIAN
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94724 7154)
 (symbols 48 20386 1)
 (miscs 40 44 93)
 (strings 32 28378 1196)
 (string-bytes 1 744002)
 (vectors 16 14076)
 (vector-slots 8 502394 6816)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 249 0)
 (buffers 992 11))