Subject: 26.2; Tramp fails with "Invalid base64 data".

From: Asif <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 13:06:38 -0700

Procedure:

C-x d
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/
g
<Moved to the 5MB large file name.>
RET
<I get minibuffer message: Invalid base64 data>

The same works perfectly for Emacs 25.2.2 Tramp: 2.2.13.25.2
The same fails for Emacs: 26.2 Tramp: 2.3.5.26.2

Tramp method used:

("ssh2x11"
  (tramp-login-program "ssh")
  (tramp-login-args
   (("-2")
    ("-vv")
    ("-l" "%u")
    ("-p" "%p")
    ("%c")
    ("-e" "none")
    ("-X")
    ("%h")))
  (tramp-async-args
   (("-q")))
  (tramp-remote-shell "/bin/sh")
  (tramp-remote-shell-login
   ("-l"))
  (tramp-remote-shell-args
   ("-c"))
  (tramp-gw-args
   (("-o" "GlobalKnownHostsFile=/dev/null")
    ("-o" "UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null")
    ("-o" "StrictHostKeyChecking=no")
    ("-o" "ForwardX11=yes")))
  (tramp-default-port 22))

Tramp debug capture:

;; GNU Emacs: 25.2.2 Tramp: 2.2.13.25.2 -*- mode: outline; -*-
;; tramp-verbose 4
12:24:54.505678 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...
12:24:54.515970 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Sending command ��exec
ssh -2 -vv -l USERNAME  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none -X HOSTNAME��
12:24:54.522243 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...
12:24:54.561504 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...done
12:24:54.561672 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell prompt
on ��HOSTNAME��
12:24:54.610390 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
12:24:54.623066 tramp-sh-handle-insert-directory (4) # Inserting directory
��ls --dired -la --group-directories-first
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/��,
wildcard no, fulldir yes
12:25:07.489455 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # Finding true name for
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:25:07.494812 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # True name of
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
is
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:25:07.509711 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...
12:25:07.538762 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(gzip <%s | base64)��...
12:25:07.590274 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(gzip <%s | base64)��...done
12:25:07.607706 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.231347lj.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary)) (default-directory
(tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) [ssh2x11 USERNAME HOSTNAME
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil] (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string gzip -d)) t t nil (cdr
(split-string gzip -d)))))��...
12:25:07.676771 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.231347lj.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary)) (default-directory
(tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) [ssh2x11 USERNAME HOSTNAME
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil] (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string gzip -d)) t t nil (cdr
(split-string gzip -d)))))��...done
12:25:07.708081 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...done
12:25:07.741481 tramp-sh-handle-vc-registered (3) # Checking
��vc-registered�� for /ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log...
12:25:07.842763 tramp-sh-handle-vc-registered (3) # Checking
��vc-registered�� for /ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log...done

;; Emacs: 26.2 Tramp: 2.3.5.26.2 -*- mode: outline; -*-
;; tramp-verbose 4
12:28:13.785688 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...
12:28:13.789085 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Sending command ��exec
ssh -2 -vv -l USERNAME  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none -X HOSTNAME��
12:28:13.789340 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...
12:28:14.059821 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...done
12:28:14.060087 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell prompt
on ��HOSTNAME��
12:28:14.110092 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
12:28:14.127218 tramp-sh-handle-insert-directory (4) # Inserting directory
��ls --dired -la --group-directories-first --quoting-style\=literal
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/��,
wildcard no, fulldir yes
12:28:57.155858 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # Finding true name for
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:28:57.165861 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # True name of
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
is
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:28:57.183271 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...
12:28:57.196097 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)��...
12:28:57.236845 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)��...done
12:28:57.275173 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.jJaBOY.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))��...
12:28:57.277109 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.jJaBOY.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))��...failed
12:28:57.308696 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...failed

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2019-05-15 built on USERNAME-w-u-1
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
Tramp: Opening connection for USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’...
Tramp: Encoding remote file
‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’
with ‘(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)’...done
Tramp: Decoding local file ‘/tmp/tramp.uhLVFl.log’ with ‘(lambda (beg end)
(base64-decode-region beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote
binary)) (coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))’...failed
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’...failed
tramp-file-name-handler: Invalid base64 data
Mark set [3 times]
Saved text until "linux/packages/systemd/results/build.log"
Mark set
Mark saved where search started

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/USERNAME/Software/Bin/Emacs
 --exec-prefix=/home/USERNAME/Software/Bin/Emacs --with-modules --with-x
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-sound=yes --without-pop'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail info pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu
cl-extra eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
help-mode apropos vc-git view diff-mode tcl org-indent org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ielm pp dired-aux
files-x hl-line misearch multi-isearch gtags telnet-contrib telnet paren
edmacro kmacro em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time format-spec dired dired-loaddefs elec-pair lcomp advice
easy-mmode finder-inf package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 457123 54193)
 (symbols 48 37100 2)
 (miscs 40 1400 1202)
 (strings 32 90709 13327)
 (string-bytes 1 2912200)
 (vectors 16 60237)
 (vector-slots 8 1076521 52816)
 (floats 8 289 668)
 (intervals 56 22356 0)
 (buffers 992 59))