Subject: bug#36015: closed (Re: bug#36015: 26.2; Tramp fails with "Invalid base64 data".)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2019 07:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36015: 26.2; Tramp fails with "Invalid base64 data".

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36015: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36015
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36015: 26.2; Tramp fails with "Invalid base64 data".
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Asif <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2019 09:53:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Asif <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael!

Hi Asif,

> Turns out that I got rid of the "-vv" login args option for
> the tramp method and it work fine now. I could not reproduce
> the failure without the "-vv" login option.

Thanks for the feedback, so it isn't a bug. I'm closing the report.

> Asif

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 26.2; Tramp fails with "Invalid base64 data".
From: Asif <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 13:06:38 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Procedure:

C-x d
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/
g
<Moved to the 5MB large file name.>
RET
<I get minibuffer message: Invalid base64 data>

The same works perfectly for Emacs 25.2.2 Tramp: 2.2.13.25.2
The same fails for Emacs: 26.2 Tramp: 2.3.5.26.2

Tramp method used:

("ssh2x11"
  (tramp-login-program "ssh")
  (tramp-login-args
   (("-2")
    ("-vv")
    ("-l" "%u")
    ("-p" "%p")
    ("%c")
    ("-e" "none")
    ("-X")
    ("%h")))
  (tramp-async-args
   (("-q")))
  (tramp-remote-shell "/bin/sh")
  (tramp-remote-shell-login
   ("-l"))
  (tramp-remote-shell-args
   ("-c"))
  (tramp-gw-args
   (("-o" "GlobalKnownHostsFile=/dev/null")
    ("-o" "UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null")
    ("-o" "StrictHostKeyChecking=no")
    ("-o" "ForwardX11=yes")))
  (tramp-default-port 22))

Tramp debug capture:

;; GNU Emacs: 25.2.2 Tramp: 2.2.13.25.2 -*- mode: outline; -*-
;; tramp-verbose 4
12:24:54.505678 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...
12:24:54.515970 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Sending command ��exec
ssh -2 -vv -l USERNAME  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none -X HOSTNAME��
12:24:54.522243 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...
12:24:54.561504 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...done
12:24:54.561672 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell prompt
on ��HOSTNAME��
12:24:54.610390 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
12:24:54.623066 tramp-sh-handle-insert-directory (4) # Inserting directory
��ls --dired -la --group-directories-first
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/��,
wildcard no, fulldir yes
12:25:07.489455 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # Finding true name for
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:25:07.494812 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # True name of
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
is
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:25:07.509711 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...
12:25:07.538762 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(gzip <%s | base64)��...
12:25:07.590274 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(gzip <%s | base64)��...done
12:25:07.607706 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.231347lj.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary)) (default-directory
(tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) [ssh2x11 USERNAME HOSTNAME
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil] (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string gzip -d)) t t nil (cdr
(split-string gzip -d)))))��...
12:25:07.676771 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.231347lj.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary)) (default-directory
(tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) [ssh2x11 USERNAME HOSTNAME
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil] (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string gzip -d)) t t nil (cdr
(split-string gzip -d)))))��...done
12:25:07.708081 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...done
12:25:07.741481 tramp-sh-handle-vc-registered (3) # Checking
��vc-registered�� for /ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log...
12:25:07.842763 tramp-sh-handle-vc-registered (3) # Checking
��vc-registered�� for /ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log...done

;; Emacs: 26.2 Tramp: 2.3.5.26.2 -*- mode: outline; -*-
;; tramp-verbose 4
12:28:13.785688 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...
12:28:13.789085 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Sending command ��exec
ssh -2 -vv -l USERNAME  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none -X HOSTNAME��
12:28:13.789340 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...
12:28:14.059821 tramp-process-actions (3) # Waiting for prompts from remote
shell...done
12:28:14.060087 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell prompt
on ��HOSTNAME��
12:28:14.110092 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection for
USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
12:28:14.127218 tramp-sh-handle-insert-directory (4) # Inserting directory
��ls --dired -la --group-directories-first --quoting-style\=literal
/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/��,
wildcard no, fulldir yes
12:28:57.155858 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # Finding true name for
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:28:57.165861 tramp-sh-handle-file-truename (4) # True name of
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
is
��/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
12:28:57.183271 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...
12:28:57.196097 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)��...
12:28:57.236845 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Encoding remote file
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��
with ��(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)��...done
12:28:57.275173 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.jJaBOY.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))��...
12:28:57.277109 tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy (3) # Decoding local file
��/tmp/tramp.jJaBOY.log�� with ��(lambda (beg end) (base64-decode-region
beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote binary))
(coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))��...failed
12:28:57.308696 tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (3) # Inserting
��/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log��...failed

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2019-05-15 built on USERNAME-w-u-1
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
Tramp: Opening connection for USERNAME@HOSTNAME using ssh2x11...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’...
Tramp: Encoding remote file
‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’
with ‘(env GZIP= gzip <%s | base64)’...done
Tramp: Decoding local file ‘/tmp/tramp.uhLVFl.log’ with ‘(lambda (beg end)
(base64-decode-region beg end) (let ((coding-system-for-write (quote
binary)) (coding-system-for-read (quote binary))) (apply (quote
tramp-call-process-region) (quote (tramp-file-name ssh2x11 USERNAME nil
HOSTNAME nil
/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log
nil)) (point-min) (point-max) (car (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)) t t
nil (cdr (split-string env GZIP= gzip -d)))))’...failed
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh2x11:USERNAME@HOSTNAME
:/home/USERNAME/Projects/Koji/clearlinux/packages/systemd/results/build.log’...failed
tramp-file-name-handler: Invalid base64 data
Mark set [3 times]
Saved text until "linux/packages/systemd/results/build.log"
Mark set
Mark saved where search started

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/USERNAME/Software/Bin/Emacs
 --exec-prefix=/home/USERNAME/Software/Bin/Emacs --with-modules --with-x
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-sound=yes --without-pop'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail info pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu
cl-extra eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
help-mode apropos vc-git view diff-mode tcl org-indent org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ielm pp dired-aux
files-x hl-line misearch multi-isearch gtags telnet-contrib telnet paren
edmacro kmacro em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time format-spec dired dired-loaddefs elec-pair lcomp advice
easy-mmode finder-inf package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 457123 54193)
 (symbols 48 37100 2)
 (miscs 40 1400 1202)
 (strings 32 90709 13327)
 (string-bytes 1 2912200)
 (vectors 16 60237)
 (vector-slots 8 1076521 52816)
 (floats 8 289 668)
 (intervals 56 22356 0)
 (buffers 992 59))