Subject: RE: bug#3600: 23.0.94; shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:23:36 -0700

>  > I don't know how to try it. What recipe do you suggest?
> 
> Apply the patch and either remake emacs or put the code of the patched
> `shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer' into your .emacs and 
> wait till it starts barking.  And don't forget to tell me if it
> doesn't bark at you for a couple of weeks.  Then we can install it.

I think I'll pass. The affected part of the code is something that I will
probably never run into, let alone within a couple of weeks. The use case for
that code path is something that someone else will need to test, if it is tested
at all.

>  > I didn't try anything before; I was just perusing the 
>  > code, and I wondered what it was trying to do.
> 
> The only way to understand such code is by comparing the original code
> with the present one and, if they differ, go through the 
> revisions, look at the ChangeLogs, and maybe scan emacs-devel and
> friends for errors reported wrt that code.

I think you misunderstood me. I was speaking about perusing the original code,
not yours. I was saying that I didn't run into a problem trying to do something.
I didn't run into a problem at all. I was simply browsing the (original) code
and noticed that it seemed strange. That's all.

I have no problem with your fix. (And I personally have no problem if no fix is
applied.)