Subject: Re: bug#35993: Windows port redirection bug

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 00:48:53 -0600

Hello,

It is worth repeating: none of these are bugs in sed itself
(that is - there is nothing to change/fix in sed to make it work).
These are problems in the shell usage (e.g. CMD.EXE in windows 10).

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 04:27:46PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> These are my findings on Windows 10:

> S:\temp>sed-4.7-64bit s/\"//g teste.txt > out.txt
> helloworldsed-4.7-64bit: can't read >: Invalid argument
> sed-4.7-64bit: can't read out.txt: No such file or directory
> 
> S:\temp>sed-4.7-64bit "s/\"//g" teste.txt > out.txt
> helloworldsed-4.7-64bit: can't read >: Invalid argument
> sed-4.7-64bit: can't read out.txt: No such file or directory

I do not have access to a Windows 10 machine,
so my results are from Windows 7.

I just double-checked and the above two commands work well for me
in windows 7 with cmd.exe.

To verify: are you using the standard CMD.EXE or something else ?

> As you can see, the problem persists. My goal is to remove double quotes, so
> I replace them with nothing. This command line works inside a bash shell,
> but gives the above errors under Windows.

As you wrote, it works well (and as expected) in 'bash' shell.
Hence it is a problem in the usage of quoting in your terminal
(cmd.exe?), not in sed.
There is not much more we can do as sed developers.

You might want to ask in Microsoft forums about quoting rules in windows
10.

regards,
 - assaf