Subject: Re: bug#35940: [PATCH] bookmark.el: Remove support for renaming ancient "~/.emacs-bkmrks" file

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 13:08:17 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since at least 1995, there has been a variable `bookmark-old-default-file'
> referring to an old default file name "~/.emacs-bkmrks", and some
> accompanying code to rename from the old file name to the new one.
>
> Since it's extremely unlikely that someone has a need to recover this kind
> of file from before 1995 and use it in a modern Emacs, I think it's about
> time to retire this code.  Please see the attached patch for a suggestion.

Looks fine to me, but I suggest simultaneously making bookmark-file
(the old name of bookmark-default-file[1]) an obsolete varalias of
bookmark-default-file.

[1: e343798900]: Insure that all entry points call [...]
  1995-03-11 02:05:20 +0000
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e34379890042bdb66263d962e845328ac0b63f67

Thanks,

-- 
Basil