Subject: Re: bug#35920: strftime incorrectly assumes that nstrftime will produce UTF-8

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 12:51:18 -0400

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 5:08 AM Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

I think we should deprecate ‘strftime’ and ‘strptime’: (srfi srfi-19)
> provides similar functionality, it uses (ice-9 i18n) for the locale
> stuff, and it has a better API.
>

Just a heads-up.  I don't consider SRFI 19 to have a very good API, and I'm
working on a pre-SRFI for dates and times.  There is an outline of it (very
subject to change) at <
https://bitbucket.org/cowan/r7rs-wg1-infra/src/default/TimeAdvancedCowan.md>.
 Note that it does not do localization except for timezones, however, so is
probably not directly relevant.  I'd appreciate review comments at
[email-masked] anyway.  Thanks.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        [email-masked]
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the portrait of Mona Lisa
good if I desire to see it? Is the bust of Sir Philip Crampton lyrical,
epical or dramatic?  If a man hacking in fury at a block of wood make
there an image of a cow, is that image a work of art? If not, why not?
                --Stephen Dedalus