Subject: Re: bug#35919: recutils package does not install emacs rec-mode

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:09:54 +0300

Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, Oleg Pykhalov wrote:
>
>> WDYT about creating a new package recipe in
>> ‘gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm’, which inherits ‘recutils’ and sets build
>> system to ‘emacs-build-system’?  We will probably need to change
>> directory after unpack phase in this case, but we will not need to
>> maintain Emacs lisp files compilation manually.
>
> I have prepared the following patch implementing this suggestion
> (thanks again, I'm much happier with this). I ended up putting it in
> databases.scm rather than emacs-xyz.scm so that it can live with the
> recutls definition, and not run afoul of the advice by Ludo’ in [0],
> "The lesson is: when inheriting from a package, do it in the module
> where it’s defined."
> [0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35154#5

Ah, sorry about that - I forgot this.

> I have also set the inputs and native inputs to the empty lists,
> because as far as I can tell, the emacs mode does not depend on
> anything outside of the emacs-build-system.

OK, I fixed a typo in emacs-recutils synopsis and formatted Git
messages.  You could look for messages examples with a handy command
‘vc-print-log’ in Emacs which is binded to ‘C-x v l’ by default.  Also I
modified a description a little bit for better searching if you don't
mind.  Pushed as 535a69e9e5aae2f59470caf900ece56f83ee6e36 to master.

Thanks,
Oleg.