Subject: Re: bug#35900: Can't logout and login again

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2019 23:47:18 +0200

Hi Philip,

[email-masked] (Philip K.) skribis:

> Nevertheless, I managed to solve the issue by reading through the
> manual, and it was unrelated to my initial suspicion, and as you mention
> had to do with the xsession file containing a command (I believe it was
> "xset") that I hadn't installed in my user profile. After removing said
> lines, any all DE's worked as expected.

Good to know, I’m closing the bug now.

> Ultimately, I'd still see this as a kind of bug, since the in the case
> of GDM no error message appeared at all, and SLiM generated two written
> *over* one another, with little information on what exactly was wrong.
> Or is it generally not advised to use an .xsession file?

Using a .xsession file is fine, of course, but it generally means that
you’re “on your own.”  In particular, there’s not much the login manager
can do; it cannot tell whether the .xsession script is behaving “as
intended.”

Thanks,
Ludo’.