Subject: bug#35900: Can't logout and login again

From: [email-masked] (Philip K.)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 16:13:59 +0200

Hi, I've just installed the Guix System on my laptop (TP X230) yesterday,
but I consistently find myself running into the problem that I can't use
a X session properly.

I've reinstalled the system multiple times with different DE's (LXQt,
Mate, XFCE) and DM's (slim, GDM), but the issue persists: The first time
I try to login, it works, everything is loaded the way I'd expect it,
but as soon as I install anyting (using "guix install ...") and *then*
log out, and try to log in again, the screen just blinks and throws me
back into the login screen of my display manager.

I've tried changing /etc/config.scm and keeping it the same, reveting
package instalations, but nothing seems to change anything.

When running "startx" in a TTY, I get this message, no matter what WM I
try to use:

    xauth:  file /home/phi/.serverauth.1225 does not exist

    xinit: unable to run server "/gnu/store/i3hrd6d3wrxy5fc9i2kcv115sjm8xm8f-xinit-1.4.1/bin/X": No such file or directory
    Use the -- option, or make sure that /gnu/store/i3hrd6d3wrxy5fc9i2kcv115sjm8xm8f-xinit-1.4.1/bin is in your path and
    that "/gnu/store/i3hrd6d3wrxy5fc9i2kcv115sjm8xm8f-xinit-1.4.1/bin/X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
    for your display.  Possible server names include:

        Xorg        Common X server for most displays
        Xvfb        Virtual frame buffer
        Xfake       kdrive-based virtual frame buffer
        Xnest       X server nested in a window on another X server
        Xephyr      kdrive-based nested X server
        Xvnc        X server accessed over VNC's RFB protocol
        Xdmx        Distributed Multi-head X server

Note that "X" isn't placed in /gnu/store/...-xinit-1.4.1/bin/X, but as
far as I see /gnu/store/...-xorg-server-1.20.4/bin/X.

Is this a known bug? Are there any workarounds? In case there are any
questions or I didn't go into enough detail, please tell me, and I'll
gladly offer more information. I'll attach the output of "guix package
-I" and "-l" to this mail, in case than may help.

-- 
	With kind regards,
	Philip K.