Subject: Re: bug#35899: 26.1; move-beginning-of-line sometimes does not move to beginning of line

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:54:00 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> For starters, there's no bug-35899-hello.png, but I guess any image will do,

Sorry, I meant the "hello.png" attached to the OP (I tend to give
bug-specific names locally), but indeed any image will do.

> so I used splash.png.  But then (move-beginning-of-line nil) moves to
> the beginning of "def", which is not inside the image.  What did I
> miss?

Hmm, something a bit funny here: M-x move-beginning-of-line and M-:
(move-beginning-of-line nil) go to the beginning of "def", but C-a
(which is bound to move-beginning-of-line) goes onto the image (same as
C-4 C-b).  I guess the switch to minibuffer affects things somehow?

But neither of these behaviours seems to be "disregarding" the newlines
that the "image rests on", i.e., it's different from what happens
without the newlines:

(let ((img (create-image "splash.png")))
  (insert "abc")
  (insert-image img "foo bar baz")
  (insert "def"))